All content belongs to the owners of Homestead Prayers. You may not use any of our content without permission.

Golden Corn Bread

Written By Ang

The weather is changing rapidly where we live, and it makes everyone long for comfort food.  Plus, running your oven is an easy way to heat up your house without having to get the heat going!  :)  So the other day, I made chicken soup and corn bread.  As soon as I announced what was for dinner (after being asked, of course), my middle son jumped up in the air and yelled, "Corn bread!  Yes!"  I guess you could say corn bread is a favorite in our home.  I've noticed it's also made differently around the country.  So I thought I'd share my recipe today, not really knowing how popular this recipe is.  I got this from my mom years ago.  I don't know where she got it.  But it bakes up into a thick, dense "cake-like" bread.  We all really love it.  Now keep in mind that I doubled my recipe for many hungry boys, so my pictures won't match my recipe.  :)

Golden Corn Bread
Makes 9 Servings

*1 cup flour
*1/4 cup sugar
*4 tsp. baking powder
*3/4 tsp. salt
*1 cup yellow cornmeal
*2 eggs
*1 cup milk
*1/4 cup soft shortening


Step 1 ~ Sift together in a bowl flour, sugar, baking powder, & salt. Stir in cornmeal.



Step 2 ~ In a small bowl, beat eggs with a fork.  (As you can see, I got 2 double-yoke eggs from the chickens that day.) Then add the milk & shortening to eggs.


 

Step 3 ~ Add the egg mixture, all at one time, to the cornmeal mixture.  Stir with a fork until flour is just moistened.  Even if your batter is lumpy, do not stir anymore.

Step 4 ~ Pour into a well greased 9" square pan.  Bake at 425 degrees 20-25 minutes or until done. (Remember, I doubled my recipe.)



Cut in squares & serve hot with butter.  This bread goes great with a homemade soup!  On this day, I served it with chicken rice soup.  Believe me, it didn't last long!




Let us know if you try it!  Or...share your favorite corn bread recipe with us!

Comments

Popular Posts